City Banning The Wrong Smoke

Sunday, November 21, 2010

City Banning The Wrong Smoke
Letter to the Editor


Ladysmith Chronicle.com - Letters
341 1st Avenue, Ladysmith, B.C., V9G 1A3
1-250-245-2277

Published: October 25, 2010

Editor:

It was no surprise when the annual Cowichan Valley light up started last Friday. Following a notice sent to my phone, I watched as the sky slowly filled to its familiar haze. In fact, one of my neighbours celebrates the first day of light up by lighting his wet leaf pile to share the smoke with my children gallivanting in their own back yard.

As I hustle my children indoors on the lovely autumn day, I am struck by the fact that Duncan council has spent so much energy on this politically correct bylaw to try and ban cigarette smoking downtown, but are seemingly oblivious to the billowing of wood smoke.

I very easily keep my children away from cigarette smoke; however, I find it rather difficult to shelter them from the smog that all the open burning creates over our lovely valley.

I am sure it is much more politically correct to try and ban smoking. I have born witness to the wall anti-open burning campaigners come up against with the city.

It is a shame that the easy way seems to be taken when it comes to banning the correct light up.

A. Richards

North Cowichan

0 comments:

Post a Comment