Canadians Suffer--Just Like Americans

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Smoke emissions are harmful to all-no matter where you live!


YORKREGION.COM…is a community website serving residents and businesses of York Region. Ontario, Canada

What Do You Think
Jul 23, 2007 03:33 PM

Readers debate fire ban

What do you think about banning recreational and open air fires in built-up areas where lot sizes are smaller?

(Excerpts from some of the pro-ban replies)
You responded:

We have called the fire chief numerous times about smoke from fires on weekends. They also burn garbage and foam. It’s so bad, we have to go out for the day. We can’t breathe. It’s funny no one can smoke, but we have to put up with this. Why is that?
GORDON EDGECOMB
Georgina

II think that this is a great idea. I have a young baby that has potential for asthma and allergies. Many times just trying to play in our back yard we have been smoked out by neighbours constantly burning. If they were just burning yard waste, would they need to burn almost everyday? Not to mention there is a lot of yard waste that people shouldn’t burn and probably aren’t even aware of these dangers. I definitely agree that it is time to make some changes.
BONNIE LEITCH
Georgina

I have asthma and every weekend night we have to close up all of our windows and run the air conditioner due to the many backyard fires in our subdivision. Otherwise I have a lot of trouble breathing. The fires, many close to fences and trees, may set them on fire furthering harming nature. I have also observed burning of garbage during the week and, when mowing the lawn (with my rechargeable battery operated mower) I had to stop as the fumes were so bad. During that fire, I also got ashes on my arm blown over from his fire and bits of his credit card statements half burnt blew at me. Disgusting. We have garbage pickup and recycling in this town. I would welcome restrictions on fires in built up areas.
DEEANN GONSALVES
Georgina

I think all fires within town limits should be banned as it affects the air quality and those who are sensitive to it.
CORINNA EU
Georgina

We live on Hollywood Drive. I have asthma and have been forced to call the fire department twice. The second time, our neighbour let the fire smolder all night. No fine was issued and the fire pit it 10 to 15 feet from my house. We have a bylaw officer who manages to ticket everybody in town if they’re parked in the wrong space, so why can’t this person ticket someone burning without a permit. These inconsiderate people make it hard on people who just want a small fire late in the evening. This guy burns during the day. Who do I call now since the fire department has not stopped the problem?
CATHY WEILER
Georgina

Many times we are forced to close our windows during the cooler evenings and use the air conditioning as the smell from the fires permeates our home. It gets right into one’s clothing. I would like to see recreational and open-air fires in built-up areas banned.
ALBERT HOBDEN
Georgina

Most definitely ban all fires. Give out permits for special nights people want a bonfire. I pay my taxes and should not have to hide out in my home because of asthma and one ignorant neighbour who, by the way, was asked politely to put out his fire on numerous occasions. One wrecks it for all.
CATHY CLUGSTON
Georgina

I think there should definitely be restrictions, not just for subdivisions but for general residential streets also. It is very frustrating when you have to bring in your laundry to rewash it or not allow your kids to go outside to play because one of your neighbours is burning and the smoke is so thick. It’s about just having plain respect for your neighbours, which unfortunately alot of people don’t these days. The town does need to change the bylaws.
WENDY CULLINGHAM
Georgina

Great idea, long overdue. Let’s air our laundry, rather than having to launder our air.
DEB WILSON
Richmond Hill

I believe there should be a complete ban on recreational and open-air fires in all areas. There is absolutely no reason to burn. Most people who burning are burning their garbage. Open-air burning causes an excessive number of fire runs that are not required. Burning complaints are a waste of valuable resources.
JACK SEXTON
Georgina

I do not appreciate open air fires (or even anyone using wood in their in-home fireplaces) as I suffer from asthma. When my neighbour lights up his chiminea, I cannot leave my windows open on a cool night as the smoke chokes me up. Another neighbour uses a wood-burning fireplace and when I’m shoveling snow in the winter, it chokes me up as well. Many don’t realize the effects of burning wood.
RITA ZUCCARO
Vaughan

Note...Web site---yorkregion.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment